Monday, April 22, 2013

Boston Strong



What a week it was for Boston.

Everything was starting to feel like it was easing back into "normal" when my phone started lighting up with notifications again as I was playing trivia out in Cambridge Thursday night. As the whole city and surrounding areas were put on a shelter in place advisory on Friday it was surreal to see normally busy neighborhoods empty and silent. The beau lives one street over from the suspects home and I spent much of the morning with a stomach ache until I got a hold of him and I couldn't believe what I was seeing as he sent me pictures of the intense police presence on his street.

There aren't words to express the thanks and immense gratitude I feel towards law enforcement and first responders. They did an incredible job in this crisis and the city will forever be in their debt. Walking around Friday night we passed the crime scene that is the suspects street and I just wanted to hug every police officer I saw.

On Saturday we ventured out to walk through the MIT campus and visited the memorial for Officer Sean Collier outside the MIT police station. We then crossed the river to pass by the festivities at Fenway and wandered all the way down to Boylston Street to visit the memorials that have popped up on either end of the street. We spent some time leaving notes for those we've lost and hanging out with the therapy dogs that were wonderfully hanging out for pets and hugs.

It was nice to be walking around in the sun but still eery to see all the police, military, tanks, and search party around Boylston and Newbury streets. Though, through the all the terrible things that occurred during the last week the feeling of togetherness that we're currently experiencing as a city is one that I hope lasts for weeks to come.

Big Papi said it best: "This is our fucking city!"

Boston Strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment